The RingTones are an Edinburgh-based choir that started in November 2012. Our name reflects our roots in the telephony and technology sectors as we originally formed as a workplace choir in BT’s Edinburgh offices. We’ve since grown and attracted members from outside of our workplace.
Led by Aly Skidmore, our vision from the outset was to build a dynamic performance choir for amateur singers. Under Aly’s musical direction, the choir has developed rapidly and grown significantly in both quality and reputation, receiving wide acclaim.
The RingTones have been booked for a wide mix of charity, showcase and corporate events such as the Scottish Rugby Union’s Annual Awards 2015, Eden Festival 2015, the BT Scotland Annual General Meeting, the Scottish Parliament, Sports Relief, the Great Scot Awards 2014.
We have also staged our own fundraising performances at venues such as Waverley Train Station, John Lewis Edinburgh and Our Dynamic Earth. The choir has also organized their own, independent fundraising concerts and raised more than £5000 for charity.
We sing a vibrant mix of contemporary, traditional and world music predominantly in 3 and 4 part harmonies. Examples are:
- Help (The Beatles)
- Run (Snow Patrol)
- Wairua o te Puna (a traditional Maori song)
- Crazy little Thing Called Love (Queen)
- Wild Mountain Thyme (a traditional Scottish song)
- Africa (Toto)
- Make You Feel My Love (Bob Dylan – performed by Adele)
- Barbara Ann (The Beach Boys)
- California Dreamin’ (Mama and Papas)
- Jambo Bwana (Kenyan Traditional)
- Somewhere Only We Know (Keane)